One of my excellent proofreaders has taken a new job and won’t have time to work on my stories going forward. If you’re interested in proofreading, I’m accepting applications now. Here are some details:
1) The position is volunteer, but you get early access to my stories, you get my ear if you have thoughts on the plot or prose, and you get a free membership to my website.
2) I turn in my main story chapters on Wednesday afternoon (I’m on central time in the U.S.). Those are usually 4,500 to 5,000 words long. There is a two-day deadline for those chapters. I usually release them on Friday morning.
3) I turn in one, or sometimes two, short chapters on Friday or Saturday (rarely Sunday). Those have a deadline of Thursday the following week. Those chapters are usually 1,700 to 2,300 words long.
4) I’m looking for someone who’s good at catching typos and grammatical mistakes. (I like to write sunk when I mean sank!). You can also make suggestions to make the chapter smoother. My outgoing proofreader was very good at noticing unintended repeated words and awkward sentences. At the same time, I’m looking for someone who understands my style and doesn’t seek to change prose that are working well.
5) I prefer to communicate on Discord. Proofreaders submit corrections via Track Changes in Microsoft Word.
If this sounds good to you, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on Discord. I’ll send you a rough draft, and you can take two days to do your edits and send it back. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday at 3 p.m. CST.